Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Hand Drafting

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Jersey Devil on December 21, 2001 at 13:28:40:

I think that drafting by hand is a valuable skill that teaches you to think as you draw. There have been so many times where the plotter broke or the computer went down and the only thing that saved me was the the mighty pen. Learning to draft by hand before diving into the comptuer teaches a level of discipline and calls for an attention to detail that will carry on to other aspects.

I love hand drawing... I prefer it over computer drawing. ACAD is so boring and you really shouldn't use the computer for designing, its hard to actually design. Plus, there's nothing more thrilling than pulling an all nighter, while doing hand drawings, and suddenly your scale for drawing the siteplan at 1:500 (metric) turns into a solid black bar. hehe....

SO yes, I love hand drawing. Only problem is its a little more time consuming to set up your paper, and tape it down, getting out your drafting tools, needing more space, etc. but it's well worth it. The finished project is more appreciated and makes you look and feel like an artist.

Architects know all the right angles.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/10948.html