Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - I I M, Ahmedabad, India :::: Louis Kahn

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Simple Simon on February 24, 2002 at 00:22:45:

Vikram Bhat recently mentioned Kahn and his IIM building in Ahmedabad, India in his reply to Amanda's post (I want to change the image of India)...

Kahn is one of my favorite architects....

here's a shot of the building... plus some info...

----------------------------------------------------

Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad

"IIM-A was established in 1961 as an autonomous institution by the Government of India in collaboration with the Government of Gujarat and the Indian Industry. In its formative years, it collaborated with the Harvard Business School. Largely as a consequence of this collaboration, IIM-A pioneered the case method of teaching in India. And since then, it has remained the last word in management education in the country."

"Designed by Louis Kahn, a well known American architect, the 60-acre campus of the Institute has it all: a blend of austerity and majesty; spaces for casual interaction; frequently changing perspectives; and a balance between modernity and tradition that captures the spirit of contemporary India. It stimulates the imagination and creativity of the students, who are clearly the best in the country, coming as they do after one of the most rigorous selection process."

----------------------------------------------------

"Kahn's architecture is notable for its simple, platonic forms and compositions. Kahn design of buildings, characterized by powerful, massive forms, made him one of the most discussed architects to emerge after World War II. Through the use of brick and poured-in place concrete masonry, he developed a contemporary and monumental architecture that maintained sympathy for the site. While rooted in the International Style, Kahn's architecture was a blend of his Beaux Arts education and a personal aesthetic impulse to develop his own architectural forms"

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/15869.html