Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - "The Real"

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Matthew Stadler on September 10, 2002 at 12:54:39:

I notice that a category of information called "the real" is often used as a rhetorical tool of persuasion by architects trying to win support for their design proposals. "The real" is often presented in the form of graphical designs, purportedly shaped by data gathered by a research team. Sometimes architects claim that these shapes also dictate building design, thus implying a kind of objective chain of necessity between the pressures of "the real" and the architect's preferred design. This is especially evident in the work of OMA, but also elsewhere.

I wonder what practicing architects can tell me about thismethod. Does it have a long history? Is there an etymology of "the real" that informs its use today? Do practicing architects find themselves preoccupied with the design of data and its graphical representations? Does this kind of work make a good fit with their work designing buildings?

The subject interest me greatly and I would appreciate both replies and suggestions of further reading I might profitably pursue.

Matthew Stadler

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21510.html