Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Further Crit of Dream Team Proposal

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Malo on September 11, 2002 at 12:39:35:

In Reply to:  Re: Further Crit of Dream Team Proposal posted by d on September 11, 2002 at 12:07:41:

As I've probably suggested before, my view is that expression of grief is not in the larger interest of the community--whether the city, nation, or the global community--since collective grief rewards the perpetrators of outrage against the community. Any expression of tragic loss celebrates (if not honors) those who have sought celebrity for thier cause by this action.

I'm of the resilience persuasion (which seems to be the opposing faction to the grievers)--but beyond "business as usual," the resilience should celebrate triumph from adversity. The problem with the original proposals was want of triumph. They were banal, dumb--having nothing to say.

My personal vision is of a great civic SPACE--not a plaza left over between buildings, but a triumphal interior as a communal center--something on the scale of St. Peter's in Rome, perhaps; not a "park" but an all-season community forum. Think Times Squre under a great vault. Give me that, and you can pile as much commercial space on top as the lesee, the Port Authority, or anyone else wants.

The failure in the present paradigm is supposing that the problem is how to balance the memorial against useful construction. This comes down to how to arrange some OJBECT buildings, leaving a plaza. Who cares? One arrangement is never going to be much more persuasive than other. Creative minds need to get beyond this preconception (which is the modernist mindset) that this is the problem: how to build some buildings. That's not the problem at all.

Muschamp and his architects are stuck in the modernist object-building mindset. More buildings, no matter how novel, are not going to solve the problem.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21553.html