Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: College Studies

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  steve on September 11, 2002 at 12:57:35:

In Reply to:  College Studies posted by James Bialczak on September 11, 2002 at 06:51:33:

This is a big question that will require some honest self-examination. If you are sharp, passionate, artistically inclined , but not without quantatitive abilities you might want to consider architecture. But realize you have to love it, or you will either fail, or become a poor architect.
However, there are scads of architects out there who have none of the qualities mentioned above, and they are happy, but I think they might just as well have been engineers....or accountants. Certain schools emphasize design at a rather "theoretical" level....primarily the private schools, and don't always produce the most useful graduates, at least not right out of the box. State schools seem to produce well rounded folks who are often very adept managers (as public institiutions state schools have more of a fixed agenda). The highest level practitioners out there (from my qualitative perspective) however, seem to be graduates with Masters degrees from the Ivy Leagues....and a couple other elite schools. They're not necessarily better educated, but usually much better COMMUNICATORS, which is a quality you should understand about yourself before deciding where you want to go. Do you enjoy the company of people? Can you work collaboratively? Can you verbalize your feelings? There are a lot of successful mid-level architects who don't communicate well, but it is my belief their growth potential is limited.
'Hope I haven't offended anyone with my bias, but this is my view after 18 years or so of practise in the north-east U.S. .

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21557.html