Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - WTC Design

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Dremann on September 13, 2002 at 07:56:18:

Some of you have proposed incorporating the 'Spirit' of Yamasaki in some structures (exterior walkway around the footprint of the two towers) was herein proposed.

If such would ever come to fruition it would not be a plesant solution because Yamasaki was the one who specified the use of so many Supplemental Energy Dissipation Devices. A total of 20,000 were holding up floor 10-110 each acting as bottom chord dampers in the floor trusses. These Viscoelastic dampers (3M) were at the heart of the catastrophic collapse of the towers! Their failure in the fire area and subsequent sheer failure in lower floors are WHY the building failed so quickly.

Any reminder of Yami's design, even in any 'whispy' way is like rubbing salt into our wounds. Like giving the builders of the Titanic another chance! Please pick some other 'mentor' for inspiration...perhaps even Frank Lloyd Wright, who NEVER would have signed off on the WTC steel bundled tube design or used an extraordinary number (20,000) viscoelastic dampers. So much for NY Port Authority's bargain building!

Studies are ongoing and new high rise specifications will undoubtedly damp down any 'blame' for the WTC collapse (we war against the terrorists, not Yamasaki), but my guess is that the hollow/bundled tube concept is very dead. Needless to say future floor trusses will not be held up by rubber grommets!

The concept that 'builds not' is the brightest so far. Back to the idea that satisifies the victims (we ALL are victims) requirement that no building be erected upon sacred ground. I agree! Further, I would like to see NO building on the site whatsoever i.e. all 15.64 acres left intact in grass. A central theme as I described earlier would be wonderful.

Sincerely,
Paul Dremann

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21641.html