Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: The Price of Progress

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Malo on September 15, 2002 at 17:31:49:

In Reply to:  Re: The Price of Progress posted by Paul Dremann on September 13, 2002 at 10:20:54:

I'm not qualified to have a technical opinion about the role of the dampers, but I certainly recognize that this is a question to be considered by others who are more qualified than I. And yes, if an investigation is conclusive, the profession should be informed, naturally, to avert further problems.

My tone was conditioned by the rash of "conspiracy theories" that appeared in this forum, or at the least the "blame game," as some contributors rushed in with condemnations about those who might be held responsible.

I've been sued for millions of dollars for technical problems with my own projects, so don't take lightly the rush to judgment about causes and responsibilities. In legal terms, the critical issue is the "state of the art." One can't fault designers for failures genuinely unforseen by at the time, as commonly known in the profession. If the problem here should finally be diagnosed as the dampers, the designers probably ought not be held accountable.

As I said, being innovative carries a high risk.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21690.html