Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: tradition and innovation

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Kevin Matthews on September 15, 2002 at 20:04:27:

In Reply to:  Re: tradition and innovation posted by Paul Malo on September 15, 2002 at 17:09:36:

Thanks -- and polarities and debate must be part of what we come here for.

I do honor you for taking a role of critic relative to the "traditional" self-elected 'intellectual elite' of the northeastern U.S. over the last couple of generations. From my viewpoint, that elite has helped to drive architecture toward fashions of taste and supporting fashions of so-called "critical thinking", complete with a star system of over-lit approved designers.

To my mind, that school of thinking and king-making still has quite a bit to answer for, including significant responsibility for the relative emptiness of the prevailing academic analysis of architecture today.

Let's talk a bit about the dimensions of Aalto. Certainly not a polemicist in the utopian mode of Corbu or the heroic mode of Wright -- I don't think he wrote a book (he started one but never got around to pulling it together) -- but on the other hand, he went to the 1933 CIAM meeting in Athens, traveled with Geidion, published many articles, including the 1928 statement:

"A conscious regard in artistic creation for the problems of our own time implies a tremendous goal, the step by step transition of industiralism into what it is in any case destined to be some day -- a harmonious factor of civilization."

though this optimism, according to biographer Goran Schildt, had toned down by the time of his old age to:

"You can't save the world, you can only set it an example."

Aalto traveled and lectured widely (on broad architectural topics, more than the portfolio shows seen regularly nowdays) taught at MIT, and was substantially involved in a magazine in Finland...

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21698.html