Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: WTC: General Observations!

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Malo on September 17, 2002 at 12:12:46:

In Reply to:  Re: WTC: General Observations! posted by BRUTUS on September 17, 2002 at 11:24:12:

Huh?

I've had to go back a reread the article, to try to find what you found so distressing. I still don't see where it suggests that these guys were representive of Islam. Maybe the author and I were not sufficiently sensitive, but what I heard him saying was that there is a widespread concern--in Islamic regions but not only there-- for the spread of Western materialism and the developing hegemony of globalism on the Western model.

I don't think this concern is exclusively Islamic.
The issue is not specifically religious, but is more generally cultural. We find nations in Africa refusing to allow use of genetically altered seed, for instance. We see continual protest about the economic stranglehold of the WMF. These are all part of the globalization stress. The object of the attacks were the World Trade Center and the Pentagon--not Christian churches or Jewish synagogues. The event had nothing to do with religion but a everything to do with the cultural impact of modernization.

The author was asserting that modernism tends to be "nihilistic" and so may be offensive to many cultural views, not merely Islamic. By "nihilistic" I think Salingaros means "rejecting beliefs." This may be equally distasteful to those who hold many different beliefs.

The US has its share of "fundamentalists" and others of strong beliefs who are fearful of modernization and cultural change. We've even had a few fanatics blowing up buildings. Unfortunately, there will be demented people appearing anywhere, who exagerate their concerns into obsessions.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21756.html