Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: WTC: General Observations

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  lavardera on September 17, 2002 at 17:03:09:

In Reply to:  Re: WTC: General Observations posted by Paul Malo on September 17, 2002 at 11:20:05:

I'd say you may be suffering from the same ailment as the modernists you describe! I don't see the point in seperating modernism in the historic form from modernist in the stylistic sense in a world where all the faults of the former are also ascribed to the latter. I also don't find it necessary to hang the modernist aesthetic on the intellectual uderpinings the historical modernists built their movement on. If that makes modernistic architecture stylistic folly, so be it, it has that in common with classicism and other traditional styles. I am not advocating a strict adherence to the modernist model, no more than a classicist will propose to build a roman temple. I don't care what you call it or how you classify it. My message is that criticism of modernist planning and architecture is often used to promote a traditional planning mode, which more often than not is assumed to have traditional architecture as a matter of fact. Along with that modernistic architecture in that context is criticised as a folly because it does not support the strict tenents of modernism. I think it is no more out of place than historic styles, unless you are willing to believe that you are in fact in another place or time as the style may suggest. I don't think anybody is.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21767.html