Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: WTC: General Observations

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Malo on September 17, 2002 at 18:29:18:

In Reply to:  Re: WTC: General Observations posted by lavardera on September 17, 2002 at 17:03:09:

You're not disagreeing with me, but agreeing when you say, "If that makes modernistic architecture stylistic folly, so be it, it has that in common with classicism and other traditional styles." That is certainly my view. The point was to defend eclecticism, which is the natural state of affairs, given the cultural pluralism that we have and generally accept today.

My quarrel is not with the Modern style. Most of my own work--and certainly my most important works--have been done in the Modern style. My quarrel is with the ideology of modernism, which we still hear proliferated in the academy, in defense of this "right and proper style." My special quarrel is with the righteousness of those Modernists who consider all other work to be debased, vulgar, immoral--or at least not hip.

You say, "My message is that criticism of modernist planning and architecture is often used to promote a traditional planning mode. . . ." Yes, of course, and I am one of those critics who do so, maintaining that too much was lost in the Modernist revolution--not merely in terms of cultural tradition, but indeed precisely in terms of planning. I like fine Modern buildings. Show me a decent modern city plan or urban design.

As I keep saying, it's not the rightness or wrongness of any particular style that is at issue so much as the limitations of the modernist way of thinking and seeing.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21771.html