Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: WTC: General Observations

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Malo on September 17, 2002 at 20:05:44:

In Reply to:  Re: WTC: General Observations posted by Issi on September 17, 2002 at 18:42:23:

That modernism generally has been "nihilistic," i.e. opposed to traditional systems of belief, seems to be implicit in the Salingaros thesis. He did not characterize current hostility as a conflict between religious beliefs, however, but rather as a conservative cultural reaction to threatening modernization.

Modern architecture clearly is a facet of cultural modernism, which conservative fundamentalists may find threatening. Salingaros did not say, nor does it follow, that terrorists were motivated to destroy Modern architecture, or to attack the World Trade Center because is was Modern. That was not the point.
His thesis, as I understand it, was that generic, global modernism in general, and Modern architecture in particular (as an "International Style") was less than satisfactory as a universal culture. He didn't argue that Modern architecture was the cause of hostility, but rather that it was symptomatic of a widespread malaise.

Why, you ask, wasn't dissatisfaction expressed from other parts of the world? People in many of these places are not hostile to modernization but. to the contrary, are eagar to modernize. Opposition to modernization naturally is strongest and most violent where cultural conservatism--i.e. "fundamentalism," is strongest.

As I suggested to Brutus, the issue is not about hostility between religions. It's rather about the future of culture, and about the role of tradition and group identity in the face of an increasingly common global culture.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21780.html