Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: WTC: General Observations

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  lavardera on September 18, 2002 at 10:28:46:

In Reply to:  Re: WTC: General Observations posted by Paul Malo on September 18, 2002 at 09:52:15:

No, I don't agree with your projection of the fallout of attention span. I don't know if it would be poignant in five years, but if it was not, I suppose you could build then rather than now when it is evidently poignant. All the same the site does not have to be empty to evoke a poignant response. New Yorkers encountering it day to day probably will, and should, become accostomed to it. In that much I agree that the return to life as normal is a testimonial to the victims. But the overlay of an experience directed at the many ancestors of people affected by the event and others who come from afar is possible as well if you are thoughtful about what happens there, and how it happens. That is the design problem at hand, not the debate I hear.

What gets recoreded in books, I wish that could be reliable memory, but in any case it is not an experience of the individual wishing to connect with this event, only a recording of facts and opinions. There is just no comparison. And I really don't care how it makes the terrorists feel good or bad - that has to be the lowest priority of concerns with dealing with the site.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21805.html