Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: WTC: General Observations

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Dremann on September 19, 2002 at 11:30:21:

In Reply to:  Re: WTC: General Observations posted by lavardera on September 18, 2002 at 10:28:46:

Perhaps we should revisit Dresden. Typical of many war revaged cities, Dresden was fire bombed and nearly destroyed in the late stages of the war. What did they do? They generally speaking 'rebuilt' improving the street/infra-structure layouts as well as replaced the sites that were wrenched away in the madness of attack. We may be facing some of those same forces to do likewise in New York City. Architects are not going to have an easy time of it though because the surprise collapse was 'unexpected.' Architectural prowess is under exceptional scrutiny to 'get it right this time'. The mentioned 'concrete' structures as well as your fine thesis/design about 'diagonal bracing' both grapple with the observed fragilty of 'one of our best/WTC.' Both try to 'show' us/everyone how 'much safer' we can build them (now). Trust us to get it right this time. Because of that I Look for over-compensating designs to show the public that 'we know what to do now....'

I am going to break off from this forum for about three weeks while I explore Germany. I will be looking at the cities 'rebuilding' projects and why they worked /or didn't. Also their scope/scale and interface with the city planning.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/21855.html