Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: learning is a life time process

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Malo on September 26, 2002 at 07:16:23:

In Reply to:  learning is a life time process posted by BRUTUS on September 26, 2002 at 05:04:59:

Yes, the word "education" is derived from the Latin, "to draw out." Education is not so much cramming information into the student as encouraging the student to seek not merely information, but values to guide qualitative judgment. This is particularly true in architecture, which is highly qualitative rather than quantitative.

If schools indoctrinate students with a certain mode of design, they shut the door to continuing education. We get architects designing buildings the way they were supposed to be fifty years earlier. But schools generally try to focus on certain ways of doing things, simply from pragmatic necessity of teaching SOMETHING,

What we really convey (hopefully) is not technique alone--HOW to do someing--but values, considering issues of WHAT should be done. But again, if the teaching is totally normative, conveying an orthodox code of values, the door becomes shut. Better is to try to convey the CULTURE OF ARCHITECTURE, in the broadest sense of what has been done, why it was done, and what others are thinking about today in architecture. This may not provided much direction for a design studio, but the student leaves with a broader vision, more open to alternatives in the future.

Regarding the "drawing out" process, this is known as the "Socratic method," which is to ask questions--not merely to give answers. Probably the best design critic I had as a student was not much of a designer, but was infuriating because he kept asking nuisance questions. I didn't appreciate this at the time, when what I wanted was admiration for my work.

When the door is open, we continue to learn. Of course, some people like to think the know it all, even as students, let alone as practicing architects. They're the ones that quickly acquire a bag of tricks, repeating them for decades, even after the tricks have ceased to work well.

You're right about learning outside of school. I had read every book available in local libraries about architecture before entering a school of architecture, and spent as much time in the architecture library at school as in the design studio. In contrast, we keep getting queries from many students on this web site that suggest they don't even know where to find a library.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22052.html