Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: pioneering structure-lamella structure-3D Honeycomb

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Jacques Pochoy on September 28, 2002 at 11:03:18:

In Reply to:  Re: pioneering structure-lamella structure-3D Honeycomb posted by BRUTUS on September 28, 2002 at 10:22:00:

Didn't I...? You mean what do I think about the follies in Behrut? Or about the wretched urbanism plot...!?...:-):-)
But then few is said here about the way the Mameluks designed space (I'm not speaking of the "style")!
But I won't say more...:-) (I have to stay a bit mysterious if I want to keep some students...And it promotes some usefuls researches in libraries..:-))
I'm just waiting a few years, when my students will start working there... I'm quite confident!...:-):-):-)

For the domes, and pionnering.. Er... I'm afraid I didn't understand the question...!
"Pionnering" structures of the bamboo sort are very well studied and can be calculated and engineered as any other type of material.. I've even seen a "synthetic" bamboo made of plastic composites - inner tube like those effervescent medical things in diameter, then around it a torsade of cathether tubes, then a wrapping of the very thin sheets of plastic ... The resulting "bamboo" without knots has an incredible strenght (but then you musn't play with matches) !
The 3D whatever alveolated fabric is also very well known and quite ancient... The "Mosquito" english WW II fighter-bomber had it's structure made with bakelited paper (we could say today paper armed plastic)... In 1948 some french architect used that technique for flooring, it's still there...!
But when you work with curved planes bearing stress, the angles of the honeycomb are no more identical and vary slightly... So it's more of a nuisance to use then the gain of weight...

My two cents...:-)

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22115.html