Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Strategy & Tactics

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Dremann on September 30, 2002 at 09:42:00:

In Reply to:  Strategy & Tactics posted by Paul Malo on September 30, 2002 at 07:52:36:

Before I leave for Germany for a few weeks I would like to leave you with my vision of the rebuilding at the WTC site. Paul, I am going to list some 'cues' an ask only that you take a pencil to paper and sketch this 'vision', then, just think about it from time to time and see if 'fits'. The building is the MANHATTAN.

Precepts: The ground zero 'footprints' would remain at their present grade/approx 50' below street level. (looking at a site map where the Hudson River is to the left) The core of the Manhattan would extend to bedrock centered west of the north tower (old WTC) and north of the south tower (old WTC). Through the center of the Manhattan rises a 'core'. The plan is square, centered on the coreeach side at its base 3 and one half times the length of one side of either tower (old WTC). At each corner, extending to bedrock, are the corner columns which also support the floors above as does the core. The building would be oriented in the same way as the old towers. The Manhattan would be open up to about the 10th floor, creating a grand open space between say, street level up to the where commercial floors begin. Again, the core and corner columns are supporting this structure. Fro anywhere around the Manhattan (street level for example) one can see through the structure. Before I describe that 'grand open space beneath it, let's stand back to see the overall elevations. Notably the building 'trunks-out at its base. Picture a tree trunk where it widens at the base. The Manhattan's upper floors are about 2/3 the base. Each corner 'column' appears to widen in a gentle curve transisting from the vertical to the base. This curve begins quite high up (perhaps) a third of the total height. The upper floors length and width would be twice the length and width of the original WTC towers. Each floor would be built upon 5 points of support and be built 'strong'. At each corner of the top of the Manhattan would be a communications tower. As we look at a side elevation their is a 'V' theme, the apex begining just above the arch of the great open-space below and extending/opening all the way to the top. Light eminating from the apex, aimed up along the side looks like a giant 'V' for victory. Each corner of contrasting (darker) material is gradually wider at the base until it bridges together at the apex.

As one looks under the great Manhattan, say from street level, you can see through the space open under the building toward its core, where one enters the building All north south streets would be opened, i.e. main highway to the west of site skirts the southwest corner column. The street in the center of the site would extend under the building but have a slight jog to miss the 'core'. Parking would be provided all the way east to 'church street'. The elevators would take visiters down to the 'ground zero' level. Each footprint of the towers would be surrounded by an appropriate walkway with provisions for guests. Above the space would be open to the undersid of the Manhattan (depth of existing pit plus open space above). Dramatic lighting from under that first floor plus the airy feeling created, makes the halowed ground not built upon but built 'over'.

Have you been able to visualise the Manhattan?

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22157.html