Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Strategy & Tactics

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Dremann on October 02, 2002 at 09:49:12:

In Reply to:  Re: Strategy & Tactics posted by d on September 30, 2002 at 11:51:44:

Thanks for your question 'd'. Sorry I took so long to try to answer it. Essentially each floor would be supported by the central core and 4- vertical corner 'columns'. A typical floor plan would be basically a square, a central core and diagonally positioned column members in each corner. There is room to run elevator shafts on either side of each corner column. I have 2 per side, that's 4 per column, times 4 equals 16 total. The core will contain a large protected stairway as well as more elevators and most of the mechanicals. As you observed from the earlier description of the elevations...the columns from about two-thirds of the way down from the top, begin to curve outboard. Again, the shape at the base 'trunks-out' gently. Imagine the look of a tree where the base grows before it passes through the earth. (I find that shape very pleasing, natural and 'strong') Now since the columns 'splay' or curve away, the elevators (on either side of the columns) must be designed to operate along that gentle curve as well. To do that will take a fresh design approach for elevators in the lower third of the 'Manhattan's' total height.

I am excited about how the building looks! I have given you all a pretty good description (albeit verbal) of the concept in my previous posts. It fits the site like a glove and is in a word, it's awsome!

I did not get much feedback in here, but I understand that. Who am I anyway to 'see' a solution to the rebuilding of the WTC site? The pros (at least the 6 'solutions so far) must be carrying a lot of 'baggage'. Judging by learned posters in here the future 'solutions' may also be lightweight pretenders.

I don't mind sharing my vision with this forum.

Thanks again.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22244.html