Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Theory

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  lavardera on October 03, 2002 at 06:09:35:

In Reply to:  Re: Theory posted by Paul Malo on October 02, 2002 at 13:08:37:

I agree with John - well said Paul.

I want to make a few comments though about the personal nature of design/theory as you touched on it. I am not at all sure that I disagree with you, but I might.

I would agree that some famous architects such as gehry or hadid work in a personal manner is as much as their work is as much sculpture as it is architecture. And I agree that when students, or those without such disposition (such as myself!) attempt to work in that manner it more often than not is lousy!

But I would argue that a personal approach to design (or if I am bold enough to call it theory without the validation of intellectual texts to back it up) is precisely what is needed for the average architect to do outstanding work. Go back to a basic question - what is the use of theory in design, or what do these ideas have to do with what we are designing, how do we use theory. Put away the question of what the theory is and where it comes from or looks like. The ones who try to mock gehry or even simply that modus, or posture some connection to philosophical writings are the ones who seem most lost in this.

What I mean is that they have to draw on personal experiences to find meaningful content for the designs the create, and find a personal way of expressing them or more precisely representing them in the design work - a personal theory.

To me the lowest common denominator in all this is the experience of the built place - if you can explain your backend theorys against that final and lasting experience then you have a leg to stand on with your design decisions.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22261.html