Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: High-Tech !

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  BRUTUS on October 04, 2002 at 05:13:11:

In Reply to:  High-Tech posted by Paul Malo on October 03, 2002 at 18:30:38:

Paul i know you had always been a fan for Piano,and i share your admiration to his subtlety,but there's one thing has disturbe me about this man,the Kansai airport which has been discribed by the critics as the first building of the twenty-first century using in design and construction of this project "life enhancing" immense technical sophistication,some even describe it as a
feat for engineering,well i am not questioning "the space" piano has created a great space in Kansai needless to say about the spectacular internal vistas of the seemingly
endless fluid form BUT
i can sense that technology here has been pushed to the limits sometimes in absurd dimension,such as three mountains were demolished! to provide the vast quantity of crushed rocks used to create the 511-hectare artificial island !
consolidation work done on the marine subsoil! were sand was injected into the clay strata to increase strength,and then a consolidation infill was added,all of that to make of this toroidal form with his artificial island and along with the great wall of china is one of only two man made structures visible from the space!!
well all this high tech "life enhancing" engineering feat is suffering from settlement now,but kansai engineers are bold enough to confirm that the settelment is within the acceptable limits and they can controll it or fix it with more high tech magic!!
which means another huge amount of money is yet to be added and spent to the previous enormous amount ,all of that to prove to the humanity that we can build a man made island + structure visible from the moon!!!
we need to be humble again ,and Kevin this is not life enhancing high tech from my "ignorant" view.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22294.html