Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: WTC: Humane Environment

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Richard Haut on October 06, 2002 at 15:20:25:

In Reply to:  Re: WTC: Humane Environment posted by BRUTUS on October 06, 2002 at 12:40:01:

I hope that you have had a good birthday (maybe computers will enable us all to have a cyber-drink one day !)

what I find intriguing in these discussions is that in reality most people want the same things - until something goes wrong or appears to go wrong.

when people are put through too much suffering, too much inhumanity then it comes out in hatred and resentment. The Nazis or the Russian Revolution being examples.

however, there is another version which is what is giving us so much trouble at the moment: people who believe that they have a right to be greedy. Part of the history of the British Empire came from this - the Opium Wars on China for example.

I find it interesting that the real opposition to the inhumanity displayed by Israel is coming from Jewish people. What Israel is doing is directly contrary to the teaching of the Jewish Faith - totally unacceptable. Very recently a family did what I would expect of decent Jewish people - their little daughter had died in a terror attack, and they arranged for her body to be used to provide vital organs to save the life of a young Palestinian. Jews know what racial intolerance really means, and what it can lead to.

Why is this so significant and relevant to architecture ? Because they understand that just as hatred breeds hatred and violence breeds violence, so decency and understanding can defuse even the most violent situation and give a chance for the people in Israel to live good and safe lives, while Palestinians are allowed to do the same.

America ? they are beginning to look irrelevant. No solutions will come from people like Bush, Rumsfeld and Cheney. They see themselves as great Imperialists, but they lack the subtlety - to carry a big stick and speak softly requires self-respect and intelligence; to carry a big stick and threaten friends, enemies and everybody ........... that's just a thug.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22370.html