Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: A home with backbone. Nicholas Grimshaw reinvents the country house

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Per Corell on October 07, 2002 at 05:43:42:

In Reply to:  A home with backbone. Nicholas Grimshaw reinvents the country house posted by Sara on October 07, 2002 at 03:24:31:

Hi
Sorry to say so, but I am a bit critic about this nice house/boat/whale/drum. But my experience only deal with the wishes and expertations when a german want a danish boatbuilder to project the idear, these nice people have about quality and style ; the style in this case become a bit disturbes and a bit "Dick". Money are no problem aslong as quality come in bronce ,teak, copper and varnish.
Increadible expensive and with heavy use of solid expensive materials and often in a bit oldfasion style. Still what I like about germans are, that they fancy quality though they often find it hard to control as the quality in the material you show them, most often put them in a trance like condision asking for more and thicker, heavyer and even more expensive. ----- But they know what is quality and what is not, and what I particular like about germans is, that if you get the chance to show some ballanced design, you got a satisified buyer.
I know this past my boatbuilding career where a nice german buisnessman took the chance and bought me a display place at one of the big boatshows in Hamburg, where I could show advanced boat design software and a few prototypes ,some 10 --12 years ago.
Still you are quite right that if they only knew, there would be quite some possibilities for indivual shaped quality houses, all you need for this is a bunch of skilled craftmen and a good architect, as you can se in the graphics you point to ; ----- even I must agrea that I find it strange to place the stern of a boat as a balcony, this I would have done more elegant I think. But still very nice proberly mainly by the choice of quality materials and unlimited fonds.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22389.html