Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: A home with backbone. Nicholas Grimshaw reinvents the country house

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Per Corell on October 07, 2002 at 08:22:36:

In Reply to:  Re: A home with backbone. Nicholas Grimshaw reinvents the country house posted by Paul Malo on October 07, 2002 at 06:50:07:

Hi.
Guess this somewhere have to do with how much housing was left after ww2 , that small flats is very popular with those generations that grew up in german towns in that periode, where the german army learned how to march backwerts.
In the states back in the 50' everybody was building houses with ply panels, and then what's more natural, than using the offcuts to build a flatbottom boat ; but just so you know it and even you love these vessels over there, boatbuilding is much more than just assembling a ply box ; this is where we speak differnt languages, as from my point of view you don't look at a piece of material and form what you can, you project what you want and get the right materials.
Now I know this is an old fasion way to se things, but I also know that the quality and the beauty ,show in the process it is somthing you will find if you respect the crafts and have a humble attitude about the creative process. Guess this way to deal with it work universal with what you create, but bottom line is that this strait road lead into another dangouras road ; perfectionism.
Germans are no problem dealing with as long as your attitude reflect a profesional attitude, with america I don't know how things work, but I had some succes with a few Canadians about a Longboat design with camuflage pattern sails and a canvas cabin. So I guess the sense of quality reflect more than just our expertations, ------- now this time you realy got me out on thin ice. About architecture btw. I live close to Christiania where the "Naver's" , that's traveling craftmen have their scandinavian base , here arts and crafts still show it's quality and here I can be _so_ arogant, as while I can produce these things to, I can justify that technology are aswell a tool ,as any plane or chissel.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22400.html