Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: humanization architecture and planet of the apes!

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Malo on October 09, 2002 at 11:49:49:

In Reply to:  Re: humanization architecture and planet of the apes! posted by BRUTUS on October 09, 2002 at 10:18:14:

'Clarify it? Not me The phrase, "....as history demonstrates the most humanistic architecture projects
produce the most inhuman effects...." would suggest that Palladio's work was inhuman somehow. It's interesting that the current issue of the New York Review of Books has a lengthy review article of Witold Rybczynski's new book about Palladio.

I suppose one must guess at what the author mean by "humanistic." Applied to architecture, I think of "The Architecture of Humanism," the title of the classic work by Geoffrey Scott (hence the reference to Palladio). The author of the phrase in question may have had something else in mind, thinking perhaps of modern public housing as "humanistic architecture projects." Yes, they were well intended, to improve the human condition, but seem today not very desirable.

As I said, I found this whole article difficult to comprehend. Perhaps it was worth more effort than I could muster to follow it.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22462.html