Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: future of profession

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Per Corell on October 10, 2002 at 01:34:22:

In Reply to:  Re: future of profession posted by Peter on October 09, 2002 at 23:31:53:

Hi.

Please consider what you are doing with a modern architecture app.
Drawing a wall, by pulling it out from a standard lib. Square.
Right you know how many cubic feet wall ,how many bricks , how it will look wirh the surfaces given from the brick factory, but you build square. You build the way the program allow and tha't square.
You don't step one millimeter further than how it's done tradisionally, you work with the tools allready avaible .
Then a few architects think that these fancy zero thickness mesh entities would form a new world, ------ right they proberly do it on the paper, but still you just got the tradisional drawing, you don't have the N.C. codt to acturly produce each building block, but you have a spreetsheet that will tell you exactly how many windows how many bricks and a lot of other practical things as the progeams are a copy of how things are allready projected ; how much new technology is this ,the square walls you can do without the programs, anyway that is nothing new just faster or more graphic convincing.
------- Now there are a world in difference between this kind of applications , applications that work with very different entities and produce not a list of doors and windows, but the actural N.C. codes to produce the building blocks fro the raw structure, in a very different way, with only one manufactoring mashine, where there otherwise could be need for many.
Anyway I was acceptet at the acadamy here in copenhagen for 4 years, where I used the acadamy even I was not surscribed as student, all it would have taken, would be the accept from a professor to transform these 4 years, and I allready had a price in a contest. But please emagine me with my age as alien among the other students, and as I know my force quite well, surely I would learn about the most important issues about architecture, but with an education all I would be doing would be to make the hardwork work and the plotters go proberly check new applications and that only if Im'e lucky to know somoen with a firm or start by my own, this is a horison of atleast 10 years and making a living for my family meanwhile.
But please understand that my worries are bound in the fact that I have a paper saying Im'e autorised app, develober concerning AutoCAD, that I know the direction of this dead end Lego thinking architect app. ; they are nice but why is it all buildings look simular ,could it be that the same tools will produce the same style, this is what I point to.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22482.html