Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Our Public places are deserted!!!

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  JWmHarmon on October 14, 2002 at 17:43:19:

In Reply to:  Re: Our Public places are deserted!!! posted by steve on October 14, 2002 at 12:02:54:

I went to a local park last weekend; there was no one around. I went to the park an hour later and it was filled with people. Time of day and year sometimes affects park usage. Park design and location also affects usage. In my community we have a small "park" named after a local mayor. Its location does not lend itself to any usage at all. I have seen people there only a few times in the last 10 years. The other park two miles away is used daily by hundreds of people in good weather.

One problem with public transportation in the USA cities: When one wants to go to three different locations during the day and the public transportation system only goes to two of them, people opt for using their private auto. The public transportation also follows a generally fixed schedule and one must alter ones own schedule to use public transportation. Using one's own auto allows one to leave according to one's own schedule.

I shall not forget the time I was in a city and missed the last midnight bus to the other side of town. A seven mile hike which included a short jaunt through some rather unsavory parts of the city convinced me to rely on my own transportation.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22560.html