Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: ArchWeek - Apartments outside the Box

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Greg G. on October 17, 2002 at 11:25:43:

In Reply to:  ArchWeek - Apartments outside the Box posted by Kevin Matthews on October 16, 2002 at 20:02:16:

I agree that we are indeed seeing a trend towards buildings with inspired facades that intrigue passers-by. Each of the projects referenced by Mr. Gaito share a common thread, a façade that is not merely a foil or glass wrapper such as a candy bar might have but a truly integrated element. In a well-designed building these are as much form as function enhancing the structure and perhaps adding a bit of mystery. It is this sense of mystery that draws us in and makes us wonder how the internals are laid out, and on a more basic level, what the view is like from within. As a New Yorker I for one welcome the “trend” of better looking building that incorporate a sense of style both inside and out. For a while there it was as though the city had lost its way- new construction all too often consisted of solid glass facades extending from sidewalk to rooftop, uninspiring to say the least. I hope we see more insightful articles like Mr. Gaito’s which bring attention to the those projects that are indeed enhancing our city’s streets and skyline.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22646.html