Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Space

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Paul Malo on October 21, 2002 at 13:14:24:

In Reply to:  Re: "Modern" vs. "Traditional" posted by steve on October 21, 2002 at 10:01:01:

Yes, there was a characteristic Modern notion of space. That's the problem, as I see it., with the waning postmodern Modernist tradition. Where's the space?

You observe rightly that "Modern space is often more of a continuum; it has more potential for spatial 'effect' (transparency, slippage, rotation etc.) but also a great potential for sloppiness in its conception and execution." Yes, but transparency isn't space, nor is slippage, nor is rotation. Those are merely phenomena that occur IN space--and everything occurs in space.

When I read Giedion's "Space, Time, and Architecture"--or even Zevi's "Architecture of Space," I have difficulty in finding the space. These critics were interested in spatial EFFECTS--that's not the same thing as SHAPING space, the making of powerful spatial figures. What they were interested in was ambiguity of space ("space-time" in the trendy jargon of the mid-twentieth-century, when Einstein was hot).

Decon is a direct consequence of this sort of non-figural spatial thinking. It's all about arrangement of things--what we call "object fetishism."

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22773.html