Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: "Have colleges expected more from there students productivity, as we have in the industry?"

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  steve on October 25, 2002 at 12:13:02:

In Reply to:  "Have colleges expected more from there students productivity, as we have in the industry?" posted by Scratchy on October 25, 2002 at 10:18:13:

I too have done it both ways. My arguement is not whether I can produce more by CAD or not (I can), but whether the CAD culture is as efficient as the non-CAD culture was. First you have the problem of learning new programs(overhead), CAD maintenance people (overhead), cost of machines (overhead). Then you have the problem that since CAD allows you to quickly draw everything...you end up doing just that. Every bolt gets drawn....abstract representations are no longer believed to be needed. Now the real issues: projects are viewed one frame at a time. Most of it is virtual at any given moment, so comparing one detail to another, or one elevation to a section...can not be done unless you asign a person to constantly plot updates (more overhead). And it seems, though I can't prove it, that young people coming out of school are a lot more casual about representation
than they used to be....I suspect because the CAD drawing looks so crisp and convincing. Yes, I see that we have to use it, but I wonder if until we do it with some savvy, we aren't just supporting an industry that is negligibly useful.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22882.html