Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Urban Management

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Nadia on October 29, 2002 at 03:40:28:

Hello everyone!!

Well, I'm reaching that point where I have to start thinking about my thesis (please keep reading), and I am in an urban management master's programs. The issues we deal with are economic strategies for the renewal of the cities (example of Barcelona), sustainable urban tourism, city marketing, real estate development, transport and all these nice things that make cities interesting.

What is particularly stressed throughout the program is the emergence of "soft" factors as important for business and residents location, soft factors being quality of life, etc. and the increasing importance for cities to recognise that they now compete more with each other to attract new residents, business, investments etc

Somehow, architects are not really discussed about it and I need your opinion on what is the role of the architect from the urban managerial perspective.
One first thought is the creation of "image"...creating an attraction, more than often a museum, and investing in a "famous" architect....i.e. Bilbao Guggenheim, Jewish Museum in Berlin, Acropolis Museum, etc with the result that these museums attracted visitors even before the collection was placed in the museums....
Does this lead us to identifying better a phenomenon called "The New Internationalism in Architecture", comprising by architects building/collaborating abroad, the greater awareness of public about architecture and so on?
And how important is this for the city?...especially when it applies to "high-touch" sectors as museums...and more especially when there are other problems in the city too ..congestion, traffic control...use of ICT, etc...

In any case, I'm interested for your responses
-Nadia

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/22978.html