Message - Architecture term

    Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Peter on October 30, 2002 at 08:28:36:

Please help me find a good name for this building element. Something that will not sound too formal.

I want to name an element that would be the equivalent to the high wall base of a temple or civic building such as a retaining wall on the acropolis that may bear the building or portico or courtyard. This is an element on a building that will have a second story deck, but we are perceiving as a base element rising as a block from the ground plane, discrete from the remainder of the building which is a two story on grade. A classical term is OK but the description shouldn't sound snobbish. I just can't think of the word that will suggest the concept.

Things that come to mind are base, plinth, dais, podium, stylobate (too fancy and not quite right).

Thanks, Peter

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search


Post a Response -



This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

    1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.


Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23005.html