Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: sub-aquatic structure information

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Per Corell on October 31, 2002 at 11:36:01:

In Reply to:  sub-aquatic structure information posted by Ernie Holt on October 31, 2002 at 06:34:57:

Hi
The option of a underwater inviroment are a very promising point of view , I think that with unpresurises spaces you will gain much with an underwater 3D-Honeycomb structure, this will provide a reliable honeycomb structure, with the strength and abilities of a true 3D honeycomb structure, formed around and within a formed object.
You can calculate avaible free volume to ballast the structure equaly and place it as a whole within the preasure the system are develobed to , this mean locks and security chambers , alternative you can live in the preasure so no water would ever enter the structures, where part of the floor are open water, but the coast arears reached within 20 meter deep, are much less than those of say 140 meter . What I find strange, is that in space you never would be lower down than minus one atmosphere preasure pr. sq. unit , as a structure to hold this small reverse presure outwerts as it will be in space, you could almost be able to build space ships in plywood, -------- 10 meter deep are not deep from my point of view ,still tight sub systems will work perfect and is easyli planned with for instance 3D-H ,this is a promising method so why not underwater structures four times as strong, as full submerged town is easyli possible with the technology pressent in standard bins and geometrics you proberly would find a liter price or cubic feet cost , but I guess forming a structured 3D-H is a third the cost ,when this become a standard option for framework structures. This is as close technology will bring you the object it will not emerge out of the air as promised with nanno if you are prepared to wait 40 years or 200 years, as then this can grow on site producing anything. Being a nanno one function robotic is btw not far from the idear, of producing a material with a bit of sense and idear to it. Forming self carrying frameworks is today done with concrete and polystyrene foam, still under water you be surprised how big a problem, huge volumes can be, in space this problem don't exist and things can be made quite easy up there.
My attitude about sub inviroments are influenced by the fact I was a good skindiver, 40 meters don't seem much today, but 1966 it was, esp with that kind of equipment to buy :))

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23046.html