Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: people dont deserve architects...

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  BRUTUS on November 10, 2002 at 18:11:27:

In Reply to:  Re: people dont deserve architects... posted by Adam on November 10, 2002 at 11:12:31:

Experimentation at the architectural level can be a global epidemic ... every new or weird or foreign style is widely welcomed in this era and the contractors vs architects is widely shared worldwide....with no regard to any apprehensible "logic" and the
situation in New Zealand is no exception...but maybe you are suffering at a grotesque caliber ,maybe due to different social and cultural reasons you are more qualified than me to analyse the symptoms.... and Architecture can be a small part of this social debate or cultural dilemma...

colonial heritage can be one of the active factors...

on the other hand I'm with the idea that we are not "supposively" dead as peter mentioned.......
but how we are supposed to create something NEW for a specific place in a specific time with specific needs?
to invent from aesthetic vacuum and creative voids or colonial nostalgia?
shouldn't we need a "solid" ground to start from?
a cultural foundation unique for this place...a collective memory storage to challenge the future...no one is asking for mimicking or photocopying or duplicating or clonning...actually (cut and paste) logic is part of the malaise as I mentioned before...
life is continuity and architecture is no exception for that socially speaking,I am not preaching for external or superficial indiginous cover,we should dig deeper....and rise the riddle to the level of
Spaces,orientation,suitable building materials ...the spirit of the site,history,urban or rural memory and relation with nature...then forms,volumes and organic motifs can play its intended role...

there were some good works at this level... the works of Gregory Burgess comes to my mind and I suppose he is known in N Z....and to benefit from the heritage of the dreamtime people is not an architectural disgrace after all.....

regards...

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23314.html