Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: attention mr JWn Harmon

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  JWmHarmon on November 12, 2002 at 12:58:59:

In Reply to:  Re: attention mr JWn Harmon posted by jimmy on November 09, 2002 at 14:56:26:

Though I have studied architecture, I do not have a degree in it.

I made a decision many years ago that I did not want to design commercial buildings. I wanted to concentrate on residential architecture.

I had finished a four year college degree in three years by going to summer school for four summers. I did not realize how great my interest in architecture was until the second semester of my third and final year in college. I had always had an interest in buildings from the time I was six or seven years old when my father built on a shed addition to our dairy barn in northwestern Ohio, USA. I remember at the age of eight or nine, mentally designing a small town based on western movie set ideas. I recall observing buildings and details of buildings constantly throughout my childhood. I quickly learned that others were not nearly as fascinated as I was with buildings.

I considered going to college in automotive design, but decided to pursue other career goals. I have interests in a wide variety of areas and topics and have a career in an area of public service. I did not want to limit myself at the time I entered college to the curriculum required for automotive design. The thought of going into architecture had not entered my mind in high school.

When I took a required comprehensive art course in college. I found myself particularly interested in architecture, sculpture, and Renaissance and Modern art. I spent hours in the college library reading every architecture and sculpture book available. I was fascinated by what I found there.

I spent a number of months evaluating what it was I wanted to accomplish in architecture and how that related to my other life goals. I dabbled in architectural photography, but other interests prevented me from pursuing that as a career. My primary interest was, and still is, in the area of residential architecture. I took some architecture courses that would allow me to pursue my goals.

I now have my own residential design business.

I have travelled extensively throughout the United States studying and observing architecture on my own. I have not yet been to Louisiana, Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, and the New England states, but have travelled throughout the rest of the continental United States. I especially like to see the small town and small city architecture that never makes it into the flashy magazines, but is still noteworthy architecture.

I regularly read Architecural Record and Fine Homebuilding. Occasionally I read any other architectural magazines I can get my hands on. With the resources available on the internet, I also spend a considerable amount of time researching architecture and related fields.

I volunteer some of my time with the local Habitat for Humanity affiliate, building low cost affordable houses for those in need of basic shelter.

I find that many architects have a good sense of humor, though it is often hard to observe when you see them out with other people. The life of an architect is sometimes concerned with building and design aspects that the general public does not comprehend. The general public often would not understand humor about architecture.

The very nature of designing and building requires a level of seriousness and an attention to detail that sometimes keeps one's sense of humor hidden from view. But every once in a while we need to lighten up and have some fun.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23356.html