Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Student housing concept - Help

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Manuel Oliveros on November 18, 2002 at 10:16:47:

In Reply to:  Student housing concept - Help posted by Kris Pay on November 18, 2002 at 05:51:10:

These technologies evolve quite rapidly, and with new firms in the field prices should be declinign softly, what will make the economic benefits of investing in such (I am assuming at least partly active) technologies more feasible. 2 years ago I would have recommended you the Stein-Reynolds manual on mechanical services edited by Wiley, that has a lot of information about alternative technologies for architects. If there's a newer edition than that I own, this source should be great to help you coping with the pssibilities.

Some passive elements can be put to economical efficiency atr almost no cost, and it is a matter of the architect thinking what elements may be used and in what disposition to enhance confort.

Further than the economical benefits there are the environmental, and you may need to argue for this causing a cost maybe a bit higher along the period of use of the building, say 50 to 100 years somewhere and 20 in others. No mechanical service is likely to keep functioning without significant refurbishment for the higher periods, and those more active may need it quite soon.

This is one problem affecting to some devices used in houses to capture solar energy. THose of wind I am less informed about, but well, they're mechanical in the end and subject to wear and exposed to the elements ... take all this in consideration in some way.

And use a lot the web, for there is a lot of information about solar panels and so on.

Good luck!

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23533.html