Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Rosie Ruiz

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  d on November 22, 2002 at 18:39:30:

In the 1970's, as I recall, the Boston Marathon footrace was apparently, for a short time, thought to have been won by an unknown woman runner; "Rosie Ruiz".

I don't know whether she actually won the race.

What interests me is the way she was disqualified; the major, established runners, of whom there are worldwide only a handful, concurred with the officials that, as none of them had ever heard of her, therefore she could not have endured the requisite training, and thus simply could not have run the race in the time posted, and thus must have cheated by, for example, taking the subway for part or all of the race.
In my view, this phenomenon explains why, in high profile competitive situations like major architectural projects, the field of potential winners is always the same members of the club....
When you do something extremely complex, you "know" that only a few others in the world have made it to that level.
Smugly ensconced on your mountaintop, you can "see" all the other mountains: if someone suggests there is a new mountain, or one which is unrecognised, you politely listen but privately dismiss the idea...
This "clubiness" exists in all fields.
The question is: can "clubiness" sometmes make for bad architecture?

How do we "know" that an unknown could not produce a masterwork?

How do we "know" that Rosie Ruiz did not win the Marathon?

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23679.html