Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Rosie Ruiz

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Per Corell on November 24, 2002 at 02:28:52:

In Reply to:  Re: Rosie Ruiz posted by Richard Haut on November 23, 2002 at 11:12:23:

Hi

I am quite sure, that the architectural world shuld look behind, and ask themself , what have been rewarded what have been progressed and esp who or whome.
The filosofy are, that competisions are not just there to find a first price winner, but just as important to progress new visions as second ,third.
Nice visions that been curropted from day one. As if you live in a small contry with a bunch of settled academics ruling everything and with an obvious fear of all computers, you will se first prices made as analog foto copies ,scissors and glue rather than looking at if the participant even used a computer, in say a competision about technology and architecture.
Recently I put forth an example where I participated such a contest with 100 pct. digital tools, where I described how what they were looking for, were suggestions to clarify how "the building element" , were revisited in the modern building systems everyone expected.
---- I wrote many sides about this in detail, but even then, the jury directly stated, that _none_ of the proposals even were dealing with "the important issue". This made me ask what the issue about these contest realy are, when the jury overlook a suggestion and directly say it don't exist , whereafter they choce to support the most comic book fantasy.
This is dangouras and even vorse in a small contry where you can not participate in a contest, unless it will be the same academics ,that will know your style untill next time, and after one strange decision after the other, I simply gave up participating any contest ; in the last one they finaly found out that CAD could have a price for innovation, while somone used a standard feature in a program to form a halve cover above an entrance ; nothing that made any difference and the thing will be useless and expensive, but it looked fancy.
------- Oposed this, in this contry you can join with a method like 3D-H , but if a computer enemy just say "this is not possible" , your proposal are scrapped, even architects say that the engineer will make this happen, and you can draw whatever.
So contests is _not_ the "window" the academics claim them to be. They are windows allright, but they are the windows for the ones allowed by the academics, ---- If you challance the settled ,you will not be allowed this window. Art have not changed since 1905 ,and competisions that were promoted by architects with visions ,are allready corrupted by other academics that is positive sure they do the right thing, by not allowing what treaden their posision.
Sorry, --- I am not alone with this idear about competisions.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23705.html