Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Tragedies of Famous Architects

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Manuel Oliveros on November 28, 2002 at 09:35:47:

In Reply to:  Tragedies of Famous Architects posted by shen on November 27, 2002 at 19:33:00:

I read somewhere (heh) that our profession is called in America "the profession of the old". Between those that only or mainly late in their lives attained a level of work you can count Louis Kahn, and Gehry is another case. That themselves consider it tragic I doubt, and maybe is not, but sounds as a case of dismissal for decades of quite able people. Hans Sharoum is another case of the same, before building his Philarmonic he had to do handiwork of streets at war times. Then there have been others that have enjoyed giant appraisal at youth, and then fallen in permanent disfavour. One famous architect of the Russian avantgarde lived such circumnstance (I think Melnikov, if memory doesn't fail).

Another on the line of Wright was Juan Bautista de Toledo, appointed architect for the Escorial. Had married very late and managed to have 5 daughters I think to remember to have all dead at tender age.

Lives are full of tragedy. My brother has read a lot of biographies on musicians and lots of them suffered extensive adversities, it being wondrous they had the moral of even writing the music. The same we can see in modern artists (say of music or films) where after success when young they have to manage to pass the desert of their middle age, if they manage at all. This can also be seen in mathematicians ... some produced their innovations soon to then die early, or under harshness scarcely bearable by our present standards.

I suggest you gaining access to a number of books on biographies on architects. I only have one by some englishmen and presently don't find it to quote its title.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23813.html