Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: how sustainable is sustainable?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  schmaltz on December 01, 2002 at 08:18:21:

In Reply to:  how sustainable is sustainable? posted by ash on December 01, 2002 at 03:53:05:

a nice yet incomplete reflection......

well, first of all lets not classify indian architects under the two streams of Corbusier and FLW. Those times are gone now........
else where would u place some famous Indian architcts like Hafeez/Gerard da cunda/ Kukreja/ laurie baker etc.

secondly.....
materials...yesss....using vernacular materials.
but then tell me isn't brick/conc./glass vernacular in urban areas???
they were discovered and they manage to exist till date coz they must have proved their potential over rest.
what about wood/stone.....when they are almost getting unaffordable for middle class.........not to repeat what u have already said....ecological disbalance.....???

Then Glass.....glass is used because of its certain properties....esp. transparency and letting light in......
now, there are large varieties of glass available that cut on sunlight and saves on the cost of air conditioning........
will u believe, some are even more effective than normal wall!!!

so where does the solution lie???

well, i feel that its very much inherent in the "correct and appropriate" use of materials....where all aspects like - embodied energy/installation energy/sustenance energy along with the real need of material.....like based on their properties w.r.t. climatic/functional requirements....and other advantages over peer gp. (i mean not using glass just for aesthetic purposes....or creating blunders like using reflective glass at large scale and thus saving the building while rendering surrounding open paved area.....unusable...) etc are considered in total.

also, recycling waste materials....esp. metals etc.
plus using non-recyclable waste materials directly.....like plastic ropes/tyres/glass bottles etc.....
(comm'on architects....u have to be innovative.)

i believe that can really solve the problem to a large extent.....
only if we architects start thinking "clearly and affirmatively" about environment causes.

i do appreciate ur idea about so called "futile immortality"
when the earth is no longer there......who'll appreciate the structures..........
but then....... FLW did attain it(immortality) with local materials only....

so.........where should we start then.
MIND i must say......

and that's what "Environment-conscious people have been doing....for so long.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23872.html