Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: whose building is it anyways?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  steveA on December 03, 2002 at 09:27:37:

In Reply to:  whose building is it anyways? posted by ash on December 03, 2002 at 00:17:21:

Yes! We struggle with this everyday. As creative people we want to leave something personal in our work, but most clients do not care about our agendas, especially if it will cost them more money. The standard answer to this predicament is that "the architect must educate the client" as to the value of this , what I call autonomous, content. Thats not often a realistic option. When we do developer driven commercial work, we sometimes must settle for quiet and subtle accomplishments. Sometimes they are below the thresholds of our client's awareness. Larger moves can sometimes be justified if the bottom line is not effected. Sometimes "autonomous" design moves can be justified in the name of marketing the building to a tenant. We feel that there is always room to do something innovative, even if it is small. The firm I worked at previously did high profile residences as well as institutional work. With the residences, many clients came to us because they wanted an XYZ House. They gave us a lot of freedom. Others could not bring that level of trust, and I must say I do not blame them. Our houses were usually well over budget by the time everything was done! With the institutional work (Universities primarily) the clients were generally quite sophisticated and enjoyed design almost as much as we did. This work was often very collaborative and among the most gratifying that I have been involved in.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23916.html