Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: who are your motivators, that make you all so passionate??

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Manuel Oliveros on December 03, 2002 at 10:14:10:

In Reply to:  who are your motivators, that make you all so passionate?? posted by Rachel K. on November 30, 2002 at 22:56:07:

Thanks for any appreciation, Rachel ... In fact I don't see myself as passionate, and less lately on Architecture, but maybe I sound so in writing. What do I read .. well except that medicine and basic sciences (and some I did till some years ago) I read much and on almost anything I can ... of my interest ... my readings have been many but the core of my standing library of I think well over 3000 books (most read) are books on architecture and engineering and maybe some hundreds on esoterism (which may be the part of such that makes my mindset a bit different of most you will be meeting in life). So .. well, I think that sincerity in following personal interests is paramount ... this must be good for most, I muse (yet it may turn very hard, I know it can be).

Respect english I only learnt basics till I was 25 or so and was in my early thirties (I am now 48) that I undertook learning it along 5 years, then reading has been my only additional teacher. In fact I still don't speak it well because lack of hearing practice, since I have not been to english speaking country but the UK and this for just 2 weeks.

Arts here being appreciated ... well, I would say no ... but of course there may be different and properly based contrary opinions. What happens here is that some projects need to be bright for whatever the political reason (even at the local level) and there the money is spent, this showing some support even for complementary arts. These contraptions I only sparsely see creative being for most cases just "food" works, when at worst accompanied of indigest bombast.

There is also the traditional aristocratic/burgeois support for some painting, and maybe people also loves it at heart but not in the sense of you working and soon getting recognition (which may even never come, for this is for art and architecture a supply dominated market).

On the other hand the presence of ancient buildings makes for a tradition on how to build and to the dwellers of the to our eyes flimsy balloon frame houses our heavy buildings may even now look something interesting, producing a related effect of appreciation.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/23920.html