Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Paxman = Architect

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  secretlemonadedrinker on December 09, 2002 at 17:18:03:

At the turn of a new millennium, what role does this architecture of the stable image play in today’s society of the unstable image…?

Today’s information is controlled by the image, translating into constructs and reactions in the mind ‘what we see is what we get’. Information is transmitted through a multitude of mass media publication, an inescapable barrage of symbols and pixels channelled through political interface and Information Architects.

Television broadcasters/reporters are the global architects of the future…

'Slumped on the settee watching the news at six in front of me is Kate Adie armed with an explosive narrative and a sequence of attention grabbing images detailing yet another attack by the allied forces. I am there, instantly (a sense of place is created), I believe it, instantly (construction is now completed) as the bullets wiz past her head, I know who the ‘bad guys are’. Kate now has five minutes to explain to me why the hell people are shooting at us… Of course I am not there in the real sense, I have no need to see if my taxes are being put to good use by bombing other countries, because Kate is already telling me so…'

We are virtually transported to each corner of the event media world, reports are constructed instantaneously, once they are edited and in line with various political forces they are delivered. The particular event and part of the world is conveyed to us (as architects would do so) by means of selected powerful imagery, an identifiable narrative, and of course through an apparently assured and neutral position.

Any thoughts....

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/24060.html