Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Rafter Angle Calculation

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Luke Smith on December 15, 2002 at 20:34:03:

I have come across a statement in my architectural design text that I do not understand. Under Elevation Projecton /Roof-Line Projection

"After the pitch is established a slope diagram must be drawn on the elevation as shown in fig.... Double the run and it will become the span. This is a constant 24. Place the rise over the span (24) and reduce if necessary. This fraction is used by the carpenter to determine the rafter angle in degrees."

I don't have any trouble figuring the rafter angle from the pitch, but don't have a clue as to why the carpenter needs the span fraction.

If anyone can explain why the carpenter needs this fraction and what he does with it, please let me know. Meanwhile I hope none of my high school students ask me this question.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Please follow up at our  Architecture Students Forum

Architecture Forum | Students Forum | Scrapbook | Home Design | 3D Gallery | E-Design

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/24216.html