Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Stone walls

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  William Edward Bennett on December 19, 2002 at 08:22:00:

My name is William Edward Bennett, and I am about to build my home in Brazil, South America.

The Architect designing this house has discussed our making the external walls for the building in stone. However, he does not wish to have a full stone facade, but one that resembles old buildings in Portugal or France, where the appearance is of a mixture of stones and mortar much like if we had cast in place the wall and sort of exposed the aggregates.

I am a Civil Engineer and intend to build this house myself. I have searched the internet and only found references to a full stone facade. My thoughts as an Engineer are to attempt to slipform the wall using a retarder on the surface of the formwork, and after de-moulding, washing off the surface mortar. My doubt, however is that I will be left with a very small portion of aggregate showing. To improve the look I would have to lay stones by hand before casting.

Could you help me by recommending literature in which I could study different techniques?

With regards, and Season Greetings,

William

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/24321.html