Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: PROJECT ONE (rebuilding WTC)

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Manuel Oliveros on December 24, 2002 at 09:19:38:

In Reply to:  Re: PROJECT ONE (rebuilding WTC) posted by Peter Sault on December 23, 2002 at 15:13:10:

I agree, Peter, a tool can't make for the designer. But saying that, seeing some designs provided by purported masters of the trade, and seeing that lots of unknown architects are doing as good and well by just using akin tools, one gets confirmation that precisely some famous designers are covering lack of creativity by use of up-to date tools.

One can humanly understand this, these guys are just overextended, some to such extent that they are very likely not able to dedicate thought to some things ongoing under their own responsability, and yet they need all these project to stay first rank in the business.
In any case, this kind of reasoning should badly apply to one competition likely to yield one of the more sonore projects of this first decade of the century. One would expect more creativity, not just or mostly CAD, as is your point. One can also understand that the prospective commissioners are not (yet) paying what the effort is worth, and hence are getting what they are paying for. This may be the case, but well, one I think expects more specially of those more deep pocketed competitors... yet may be it also shows that they are not confident in getting the commission and so only provide half hearted designs. Everyone has seen ideas being robbed in competitions, and when one has the team going full steam one is not willing to suffer such offence. So maybe instead or as well as a competition, we are witnessing the visible part of a game of both commissioners and prospective architect not showing entirely their cards, as in Brunelleschi times.

I'd frankly would love to think such is the case, for it would talk better of the spearheads of our profession ... yet I can't avoid too think is not entirely the case.

As well, everyone may well think I have not been pleased by the submitted designs. I expected (and continue expecting) more for the site.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/24439.html