Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Wire mesh structures

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Jacques Pochoy on January 04, 2003 at 16:59:56:

In Reply to:  Re: Wire mesh structures posted by Per Corell on January 04, 2003 at 00:40:18:

Now you get me wondering about Danish schools...? What happened to you is a peculiar case that cannot be generalized over the world !

Most architectural students today have the "know-how" about softwares.. Some find it easier to earn a living in writing those applications. Some do games, other end in the movie industry for special effects... Some finish architectural studies and build...!

I have a student who is a stone carver, he's not so young and already had some big works such as several Cathedral restauration, he knows a lot, but doesn't have academic degrees, still, he followed studies in architecture and is in his diploma phase. My oldest student is 53. There is no real limits to study (at least in France).

Some of my ex-students are in the boat-designing part, I followed those studies myself at a time when you had big wooden rulers curved by peg weights... But then you had to sail a lot on different sort of hulls to understand the stress in those times (I believe you still have to do that today).

Buildings today are much more complicated then ships because of the scale factor. What will hold under stress at one scale will be mere tissue in another scale. New materials leads to new assemblies, mixing with old techniques...

A computer vector doesn't tell much about the beam effort, but some engineer simulation program do ! Still, the calculation has to be replaced in it's context (again the scale or proportion factor), a cable for a great bridge is a "cable" (a string) at the scale of the whole structure. But if you take just several meters of the same cable and try to bend it, it acts like a I-beam.
Re-inforced concrete can be a "cable" in some structure sizing, fašades being held in traction more then in compression, giving endless opportunities...

The "honycomb" structure was used in WWII by the British industry to build the "Mosquito" plane. It was made of bakelised paper. One of the designer team was a french architect, after the war he did some buildings and floorings with this technique. Today the floor is still there and people gasp when they know they walk on a "paper" floor...:-)

Double curvated structures are "shells" and the Italian engineer Nervi showed us how you could use them in many ways. Then there are also the tensile structures, three direction of pull on a point and it's stiff enough...
Honeycombs doesn't apply to all problems, the least being the sheer quantity of matter used in your designs (or maybe is it a scale problem).
Then there is also the "patterning" theory... Keeping some complexity at each perceived scale....

At last (but not the least) the people's culture, needs, and hopes...

Nevertheless, we are happy having you here, even if some uses get rough from time to time... But please, don't post a picture each time, think to the students all around the world with some low speed modem...!

I didn't have the opportunity till now to intervene here, so let me wish a :

Happy New Year to all of the forum...:-)

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/24620.html