Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: wtc memorial please read

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Mini on January 21, 2003 at 06:12:32:

In Reply to:  wtc memorial please read posted by martin on January 19, 2003 at 11:37:57:

I love your idea of 'an oasis in the middle of the urban sprawl to represent the paradise the victims reside in.....' That is really warm and poetic. An urban paradise.... But I believe those 7 teams have their consideration in some functional use. Think about what we've lost. The original high-density building has ruined. It might has changed the whole structure of urban function a bit. Some structure that brings the urban sprawl back is necessary......Heartless and emotionless steel and glass might seems disturbing to the essential beauty of remembrance. But imagine those sprawl running around on the site. It cleans and washes the negative memory of tragedy away.

Architecture - it's not just about the construction itself. Occasionally I believe it's important to read what it has brought to a site - human figure might be the one of them.

Yes. modern styles are in vogue now but in 30 years they may be considered eyesores......it's a very good point. But I personally think sometimes the beauty of architectonic form is just about its permanetality. Some memorial exist for thousands of years. No one dare to say it's eyesores just because of its monumentality. But do we really love them?

WTC memorial..... there's going to be a peaceful memorial soon later, but apart from that, the 7 teams are working with an important project that might signifcantly change the city's function. As regard of function......I often think that's a mission-impossible to predict the functional and aesthetic point of view for future....so let me borrow a word from Jean Nouvel 'Tomorrow can take care after itself.'...that's what I believe.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/24982.html