Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Wire mesh structures (continued, hopefully not for long )

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Gary R on January 24, 2003 at 08:44:32:

In Reply to:  Re: Wire mesh structures (continued, hopefully not for long ) posted by Per Corell on January 24, 2003 at 07:55:45:

"you must experience the opputunities try the limits give a hell about the function"

Oh, I see. So, you don't "give a hell" about your client's needs, then? It is those needs that determine the function of the building, and if, as a professional architect, your goal is to satisfy your client's needs (it certainly should be, if you have any desire to stay in business), then your design must reflect some understanding of your client's goals in constructing the building in the first place. This is why I detest "architects" such as Frank Gehry, whose work seems to have been aimed at aggrandizing himself at the expense of his clients by designing as he, himself thought the structure should be, without any regard for his clients' needs at all. The monsterous construction budgets of his projects were a direct result of his choice of materials, and, especially, of his desire to use biomorphic forms, which negate all possibility of using standard materials and components, or standard construction techniques. One of the goals of most competent architects is to not only remain within the client's budget, but to find ways to reduce costs and solve problems. Biomorphic and free form design, while it may appeal to our sense of whimsy, does the exact opposite: it increases cinstruction and maintenance costs, and it causes structural design problems that could one day lead to a catastrophe. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy looking at unusual forms and designs, and I attempt to incorporate them into my work, as much as possible, but I don't do so with complete contempt for reason.

Gary

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/25066.html