Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: What does church architecture actually do in culture? Part 2

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Rog the Dodge on February 18, 2003 at 14:43:42:

In Reply to:  Re: What does church architecture actually do in culture? posted by Lindsey on February 17, 2003 at 16:13:13:

Zakiyeh, Lindsey and Richard, thanks for your comments. You have made me realise I need to reformulate the question. There are plainly two elements which in partial or total aggregation lead to three cultural issues. The two elements are: one, the matter of faith and its personal or group expression; and, two, the matter of the House of God(s). The first is not dependent on the second, although the second is most assuredly dependent on the first. For the faithful the question of the faith, its expression and its expression in the House of God(s)are of varying degrees of significance, whereas, for the irreligious only the aesthetic experience of the House of God(s) is significant, though it may result in some troubling reminders of the nature and possible consequences of the loss of faith.

My approach will remain that of the aesthetic enquiry but now conditioned by the need to be more observant of the question of faith. Again, I must locate it where I have some understanding of the underlying issues, so my article will focus on the West and on the Christian church where I believe, additionally, that there is a cultural crisis reflective of what is generally perceived to be a crisis of faith.

Thanks gain for your comments. It's always useful to try out a (shaky) premise on others.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/25595.html