Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Recreate architects' works - your opinion?

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  Eric Yukins on February 20, 2003 at 10:06:36:

In Reply to:  Recreate architects' works - your opinion? posted by JWmHarmon on February 20, 2003 at 07:14:47:

Yes, who cares? Certainly not the architect, espically if he's dead. Imagine generating commisions decades after your death? I'm sure there are copyright holders, most likely Taliesin and they would get the architects fee's. Even 50 years later, however something should be done to build as shown on the prints.

If a building was torn down, that's it. No sense recreating it, it had it's chance and failed. Forget about it. From the pictures and sketches and text that I've seen on the Larkin building, it's no big deal in terms of Mr. Wright's work. Later projects such as The Illionis Mile High Project, Hartford Play Resort and the Broadacre development would be almost like a disneyland, but serious at the same time educational. It could be very profitable, probally more so today than 50 years ago. Mr. Wright's princapls seem to make more and more sense with time (could be just me finally starting to understand them) espically as we see these Pulte type developments everywhere (nothing against Pulte really, they are accomplishing their stated goals of mass housing and are doing a fine job of it).

A broadacre city would definetly sell and be a very high rent office area as well.

Think about it, put up a whole city consisting of projects that didn't get built. They certianly were drawn/concived with the intention of being built. Building them would be a great honor to the architect and the structure itself.

For the record, when I die if somebody want's to make my design into a structure as I had intended. Go right ahead. No big deal

There should be some sort of historical grandfather clause that allows a building to be built the way it was designed. Forget about current codes, nothing wrong with making sure the building adhers to the codes in effect at the time of design/permit/intent.

ArchitectureWeek     Search     Buildings     Architects     Types     Places     Pix     Free 3D Models     Store     Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/25642.html